Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hot Sauce Makes Life Worth Eating...

I don't know about you, but I go through phases.  There is no telling how long these phases last, but there is a period of time that I crave one food (or condoment) to the exclusion of all else.  I could eat that one food item morning, noon and night -- and even as a midnight snack.  What that one particular food item is changes over time, but they usually stick for a good while.

Most recently, blue cheese.  I would have dreams about burgers with blue cheese.  I loved blue cheese dressing.  I made five cheese mac and cheese with crumbled blue cheese.  I just adored the stuff.  And I would crave it.  And not just "oooh, I could really go for some blue cheese", but a true psychotic fit of "get me blue cheese now if you want to live."

That went on for months -- probably almost a year, actually.  I am happy to say that the blue cheese ship has sailed.  I still like it, but I don't psychotically crave it anymore.  Maybe once in a rare while in a fit of hormonal rage I'll crave a little taste, but it's nothing like it used to be.

No, these days my vice is hot sauce.  I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking, 'No, Hungry Girl, you're not alone.  Everyone has the occasional craving for something particular.'  Yes, that's true, hypothetical reader, however, not everone has the type of cravings I do.  Trust me.  When I've vocalized my thought process to people they either grow worried about me, think I'm pregnant or just flat out tell me I'm gross.

Let me paint a hot sauce picture for you:  I put hot sauce on everything imaginable.  Chicken, pasta, broccolli, onions, tacos, eggs, cheese... you name it, I want hot sauce on it.  I can't get enough of the stuff.  It's incredible.  I was on the phone with my mother explaining my craving for hot sauce, and how my hot sauce obssessed mind truly believes that a spash of hot sauce on a heaping bowl of vanilla ice cream would be dreamy.  Cue the gag sounds on the other end of the phone, followed by mild concern for my sanity.

OK, seriously, hot sauce on vanilla ice cream really does sound awesome to me.  If people can put bacon in chocolate chip cookies (yes, there are people who actually do this), then why can't I put hot sauce on ice cream?  It's not physically hot.  It won't melt.  What's the big deal?

So, there you have it.  My admission of truth.  I'm obsessed with hot sauce.  Hot sauce on pretty much anything will make me want to eat it, and I want it on ice cream.  It's really no wonder I've ballooned to the size I am, huh?

1 comment:

  1. I'd give hot sauce on vanilla ice cream a go. I'm all about the sweet and savory. I am not pregnant, but can't really say I'm completely sane, either. So you aren't exactly vindicated....but validated, I hope. <3

    ReplyDelete